BLYTHE  HALL

BLYTHE was held in 1189 by Geoffrey Travers, whose son Henry, called 'de Blythe,' by his charter released to Prior Benedict of Burscough all his claim to mastfall in Tarlscough, Greetby, and Burscough;
Henry also gave to the priory a watercourse running through his Holme to the priory mill of the Bayes.

John and Robert de Blythe occur among the names of subscribers to the stipend of a chaplain at Ormskirk in 1366, and the latter also in the Poll Tax Roll of 1381.
John de Blythe attested Scarisbrick charters in 1399 and 1401, and was the father of Roger, who in 1397 was charged with breaking into the parsonage house at Crossens.

From him descended Roger Blythe, whose daughter and heir Margaret by her marriage with John Blakelache (or Blackledge) conveyed the estate to this family.

Evan Blackledge by his will, made in July, 1565, desired to be buried in Ormskirk church 'on the north side of an overlay or stone under which Bishop Blackledge was buried.'

His brother John succeeded him, and in 1576 made an exchange of lands with Ralph Langley.

He was followed by Evan Blackledge, apparently his son, who in 1593 made a settlement upon the marriage of his son John with Margaret, daughter of Henry Walton of Little Hoole.

Evan died at Lathom on 31 January, 1612–13, seised of Blythe Hall and other lands, John, his son and heir, being then aged forty-two years and more.
John Blackledge contributed to the subsidy of 1628.

He was succeeded by another Evan, probably his son, who died in or before 1658, leaving three sons— John, James, and Thomas.  The first of these married in 1658 Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Jodrell of Leek, but died without issue before 1683, and was succeeded by his brother James, a pewterer of London.

The latter's son Evan, described as 'of the parish of St. John, Wapping, gentleman, and of Blythe Hall,' sold the Lathom estate to William Hill of Burscough in 1698.

Ref: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp247-258


From Wikipedia

Blythe Hall is a large grade II listed country house in Lathom, Lancashire, England, some 3 miles (5 km) north-east of Ormskirk.
It is a two storey building of rendered sandstone rubble with stone slate roofs to an originally H-shaped plan with added wings.
It was probably built in the late 16th century or early 17th century and altered in early 19th century.

The hall was once the property of Evan Blackledge, who died in 1612, after which it passed through several generations of the Blackledge family. It was sold to the Hill family of Burccough in 1698 and then to Thomas Langton in 1800, who never moved in but instead leased it to Edward Clifton. In 1826 it was sold to Edward Bootle-Wilbraham, 1st Baron Skelmersdale. whose eldest son and his wife Jessy lived there. Edward Bootle-Wilbraham, 1st Earl of Lathom was born in the house in 1837 and his sister, Rose Bootle-Wilbraham, was born there in 1842. Their mother died there in 1892, leaving it in the possession of Rose, who never married and died in 1918.

It was radically altered and enlarged c.1918–21, at a cost of £60,000, by Edward Bootle-Wilbraham, 3rd Earl of Lathom (1895–1930), who was reluctant to restore and re-ooccupy the family seat at Lathom House after the First World War. Many of the materials used at Blythe Hall were salvaged from Lathom Hall. The third earl was a spendthrift with a passion for the London theatre and in the 1920s Blythe entertained theatrical celebrities such as Ivor Novello and Noël Coward. After the Earl's early death from tuberculosis the earldom was extinguished and the property sold in 1930 to a cotton merchant named Taylor. In 1933 it became a Catholic Seminary for training Passionist priests and called St Gabriel's Retreat. In 1973 it was bought by ex-footballer David Whelan for £80,000 and in 1980 by hoteliers John and Diana Craig.  It was reduced in size in c.1975 by demolition of the oldest parts. In 2010 it is undergoing a further makeover by new owners Andy and Tracey Bell from Rufford.

SALE BROCHURE

 

BLYTHE HALL, LATHOM
ORMSKIRK, L40 5TY

Price: £3,500,000

Blythe Hall
Lathom
Ormskirk,Lancashire
L40 5TY

£3,500,000

A magnificent listed Hall dating back to the 16th Century. Superb galleried reception hall, 6 reception rooms, kitchen/breakfast room, 9 bedrooms, 8 bathrooms. Integral flat. Vaulted indoor swimming pool complex, garaging, stabling.

Mature gardens and grounds, walled garden, tennis court, stores, barns, copse, paddocks.

Lot 2 - Stable courtyard of 19 loose boxes with planning permission to convert to cottage with annexe and garaging.

 

 

























Blythe Hall lies on the northern edge of the small village of Lathom which is a pretty village found approximately 2.5 miles north east of Ormskirk, and 17 miles north east of Liverpool.

 

Ormskirk and the surrounding villages have a range of local shops and services for everyday needs and a greater range of facilities can be found in Ormskirk or Liverpool itself. Liverpool, Blackburn, Burnley, Blackpool and Manchester are all within commuting distance.

The M58 and M6 provide excellent access to the national motorway network, Birmingham and Wales to the south and Carlisle and the Lakes to the north. There are a wide range of primary and secondary schools in and around Ormskirk and Liverpool.

Architectural/Historical Note

Blythe Hall is listed Grade II and has a well documented history.

 

It is believed that a house occupied the site as early as 1189 and records show a house built of hand made bricks and wood in the early 16th century. The majority of the rebuilding and extensions of the property probably occurred in the early 1800s.

The property has had varied range of owners including Geoffrey Travers who was given the added title of “de Blythe”.

The de Blythes owned the property for at least two centuries.

The Blakelache family then owned the Hall and it became known as Blakelache Hall for over a century. The Blakelache family sold to William and Kathleen Hall for £670 in 1693 (£335 for the house and the same for the 45 acres of land).

The Halls sold to Thomas Langton who became the Deputy Lieutenant of Lancashire in 1807. Edward Wilbraham then bought the house in 1826 for £8,424.16.5 1/2d. He was made Baron of Skelmersdale at the time.

Extension work was carried out by the subsequent owner, the Earl Lathom, in the early 1900’s using many materials from the demolition of Lathom House, including the finest fireplaces. He entertained Noel Coward, Ivor Novello and Gertrude Lawrence at the hall when writing and producing many plays.

For sale freehold

Full floor plans of the accommodation are displayed within the brochure. The focal point of the property itself is the magnificent galleried reception hall. Measuring approximately 15m x 13m, this outstanding room provides the most impressive impression on entering the main house. To one side of the entrance hall is a wonderful open fireplace with a split level mantle and to the other, double doors open into the drawing room. Four pillars transect the reception hall before steps lead to a half landing where the unusual reverse imperial staircase splits and leads up to the first floor.

The dining room is a pretty room, also with a fine open fireplace as well as a wonderful bay window with stone mullioned windows. There is a pretty conservatory beside the enclosed rear gardens and a kitchen/breakfast room which has a range of floor and wall units surrounding a black, 4-oven electric Aga and a central island. The drawing room is a dual aspect room with wonderful mahogany flooring and a most ornate marble open fireplace.

The morning room is a pretty panelled room with a further bay window, overlooking the sunken rose garden. The morning sun enters this room which also has a further carved sandstone fireplace of a grand scale. To the rear of the main part of the house is a magnificent inner hall with marble floor and a barrel vaulted ceiling as well as three further domes.

The main hallway itself has a series of seven arches and is the most impressive hall with glazed doors towards the far end overlooking the landscaped gardens and grounds. At the far end of the hallway is a well proportioned library with mahogany book shelving and space for an expansive library. There is ample space for a large billiard table and to one end is a seating area beside a wonderful carved stone open fireplace.

Located through two pairs of double doors are the swimming baths which are a fine example of arts and crafts swimming pool design surrounded by 16 impressive pillars with mosaic tiles at their bases. The vaulted ceiling has been beautifully designed with a rectangular centre piece. The entire room is tiled and includes a WC, two showers with saloon doors as well as a sauna and tank room.

From study 1 a tunnel leads to outside which may have been used by escaping priests in years gone by.

Upstairs, the generous bedroom accommodation includes a large master suite with a spacious bedroom, a bathroom with mosaic tiled walls, a dressing room with cupboards to two walls as well as a secondary bathroom. A secret staircase leads from the master bedroom into the study on the ground floor.

There are six further bedrooms and six further bathrooms on the 1st floor as well as a kitchenette and a store room. Accessed from the galleried landing, is a flat including bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and sitting room which has a separate access.

On the 2nd floor are two further bedrooms and a bathroom providing useful further bedroom accommodation, if required.

Gardens and Grounds

Blythe Hall is accessed through a fine pair of listed stone gate piers with black painted cast iron electric gates. The driveway sweeps through the front gardens which include a mass of fine rhododendra and some mature tree specimens including oaks, Scots pine and a range of conifers. A circular driveway is found adjacent to the front door. The gardens continue to the east of the main house past a wonderful old oak tree to the sunken rose garden which is surrounded by a stone retaining wall with three sets of steps leading to the rose garden itself.

A flagstone pathway skirts the terrace and leads on past the eastern side of the property which has a ha-ha providing uninterrupted views over the surrounding countryside. The stable yard is located to the rear of the main house and includes six stables, a kitchenette (formerly a small chapel) and a WC. Originally this building was used as a skittle alley. The rear driveway continues past a garden store and green housing which are found adjacent to the walled garden. There is also a tennis court located in this part of the garden as well as a large agricultural barn measuring 45.7m x 20.8m, a tractor barn and a workshop. The gardens continue past an enclosed rear courtyard and some well clipped hedging to a rear driveway providing a secondary access if required. Adjacent to the kitchen and conservatory is a pretty area of garden which is laid to lawn and surrounded by mature shrub beds as well as further high hedging. To the rear of the main house is an enclosed rear courtyard with a well.

The Land

The land at Blythe Hall is laid mainly to grass with small areas of wooded copse. There is one paddock on the left hand side of the main driveway as well as two further fields to the east and north of the property. A large indoor arena is located beside the most northerly field.

Running along the northern boundary is a pretty woodland stream.

The Stableyard (Lot 2)

Accessed from the main driveway, a tarmac road leads into a courtyard of buildings. The buildings currently include 19 loose boxes as well as 2 flats on the first floor. These buildings could be let as a livery business.

Full planning permission has been approved to convert these buildings into secondary accommodation to include a main cottage, a flat and a garage block. Full plans are available from the vendor’s agents.

Fixtures and fittings

Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments are specifically excluded but may be available by separate negotiation.

Local authority

West Lancashire District Council.
Tel: 01695 577177

Council Tax: Band H.

Postcode
L40 5TY

Directions

From Junction 27 of the M6, take the A5209 west towards Ormskirk. Pass through Parbold and Newburgh and shortly after, take the B5240 to Skelmersdale.