The Blackledge Family and Name can be traced to before the Norman invasion.

The name is derived from the Old English pre 7th century words 'bloec' meaning black, and 'loece' meaning a boggy stream.
Bloecloece became Blackleech (and other variations such as Blakelache), which became Blackledge.

Attributed to John Blackledge 1575-1633
Respited in Lancashire, visitation in his lifetime.
Arms used by Abraham Blackledge
(Tomb at Gloucester Cathedral)

Or, two bars sable.

Arms granted to James Gressier Blackledge 1888

Or, two bars sable.
On a chief between two millrinds,
Or, a rose gules barbed and seeded proper.

Ref: A. Johnson 3/1/69

The 1639 tomb of Abraham and Gertrude Blackleech in the south transept of Gloucester Cathedral.


Earliest mention of the name: PRESTON 1150 (less than 100 years after 1066)
Mention thereafter LIVERPOOL 1207

Geoffrey Travers (henchman of the Earls of Derby) held Blythe Hall, ORMSKIRK in 1189.
His line ended with Roger, whose daughter, Margaret,  married John Blackledge
in the year 1480. (Probably of the family once living at Leyland Old Hall.)

"Recorded as Blackledge and Blacklidge, this very unusual surname is English.

It is locational and originates from a now "lost" medieval village thought to have been near to the town of Leyland in the county of Lancashire, and called Black Leache.
The derivation is from the Olde English pre-7th century word 'bloec' meaning 'black' plus 'loece', a boggy stream.

The surname from this source is first recorded in the early half of the 14th Century, (see below), whilst Nicholas Blackleech of Leyland, was 'doctor of phisick to King Henry VIII' in 1535.

The spelling Blackledge is particularly well recorded in the church registers of Lancashire from the late 16th century, and examples include those of Alicia Blackledge who on May 15th 1565, married a Willmus Wyton at the village of Standish, whilst on November 27th 1579, Richard, the son of Ewan Blackledge, was christened at Ormskirk.

The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of John del Blakelache, of Leyland. This was dated 1332, in the Lay Subsidy Rolls of Lancashire, during the reign of King Edward 111rd of England, 1327 - 1377."